Bermuda Daily - Issue #53: Parodies and covers

Bermuda Daily - Issue #53: Parodies and covers

Postby Dejanira » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Bermuda Daily - Issue #53: A few parodies and a few covers

Can a cover be a parody too? And when a parody is a quote instead?

For example is the 1994 song Put Yourself In My Place from the Australian singer Kylie Minogue more a parody or more an homage to the opening sequence of the 1968 movie Barbarella? Here's the two videos (the theme song of Barbarella is by Bob Crewe and Charles Fox), judge by yourself (for the curiouses, Jane Fonda was nearly in her thirties in this movie).

On the other hand "Weird Al" Yankovic's Fat parody of Michael Jackson's Bad is a parody with no doubts. :D

And talking about covers we cited Johnny Cash ones on Issue #25 and the cover of The Who's song Behind Blue Eyes on Issue #31...
but this one must be mentioned too: With A Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker.
Someone maybe knew that the other one by the amazing voice we cited in Issue #41 was a cover of 1974 Dolly Parton's song I Will Always Love You.

But there is a band from the Netherlands and from the late 60s that I would have liked to post since a lot of time. Their international success is mostly tied to a song that many years later become famous again, for a cover of the girl's band Bananarama. The cover was a disco dance cover, with a not impressive video. The original instead was a rock song sung by Mariska Veres, voice and frontwoman of the Shocking Blue: Venus!

Have a good listening from Radio Image Bermuda and see you tomorrow.

;)

:)
Stay tuned on Radio Image Bermuda!
Are you a new player? Contact me in game and I'll cast a helping voodoo. Consider this like a sort of "tutorial mission".
Dejanira

Return to Bermuda Daily